Sunday, September 09, 2007

The future of 21C

Is it really possible that we won't have 21C next year because we don't have any funding? After I left our last meeting, I thought about the impact that 21C has had on me personally and on all the other teachers that are part of this innovative educational group and felt very dismayed that unless we get funding for next year we may not be able to continue with our mission. We should be talking about how to expand the group to other teachers to make a Cohort 3 rather than talking about how to find enough money to continue with what we have started.

I really believe that we are impacting the education of our students because of the discussions that we have and the new ideas we are implementing. Karl, you are amazing and a great leader in this endeavor.

Now, I believe it's up to all of us to help find a way to fund 21C next year. I could be over-reacting, but it seems that this is a challenge that really needs to be resolved by all of us, as soon as possible. Does anyone have the time and the experience to write a grant? Could there be a business/educational partnership? Is there any kind of a foundation that would fund 21C and maybe even (wishful thinking) provide a laptop for every student? What are the possibilities? So everyone out there in "global bloggerland" ......any ideas? Or even better yet, any money to fund a group of teachers led by an innovative educator in an amazing school who are eager to continually improve the education of our students?

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I wouldn't panic just yet. We should have enough money left for one more year, if people want to continue. After that, I don't know.

One of the keys for me, however, is if people want to continue. As a planning team we're trying to step back a little and let the participants lead where we're going more, but so far that's met with mixed results. We really need the group to drive the direction more and take ownership. If that happens, then I think we'll continue to be successful, not only next year but beyond - with or without additional funding.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Hatak said...

I love what is being said here. I cannot think about my classes without including the changes that 21c has helped with. I know that there are ways to keep this going, but in a different format. I also know that even if the formal meetings are not there we have made an impact on AHS.

As far as the leading, I am hopeful that some others will be willing to share/motivate us in the coming months.

4:12 PM  
Blogger CMeghan said...

Hello there,

My name is Meghan Callahan and I'm a sophomore.

I just felt it was important a student jumped in to say that 21c should be continued. Teachers in it are teaching us differently, teaching us better, and most importantly making subjects matter to students. You can't make someone care about history, but when you get a kid thinking about how their personal life and their family and friends and the future could be influenced by history, they already care. You're just making that subject part of who they are.

Hahaha, anyways, just thought something should be said! ;)

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home